ALTERNATIVE NEWS, MYSTERY'S, UFO'S,PARANORMAL
Visitors please register your name and e-mail.

Registered member benefits include:

Full access to all category's including specials.

Free live chat.

Highlighted new content.

As always registration is FREE!!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Visitors please register your name and e-mail.

Registered member benefits include:

Full access to all category's including specials.

Free live chat.

Highlighted new content.

As always registration is FREE!!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Check Out UTOPIA

Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:31 am by Admin

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid E0ka2t

Utopia Forum is almost complete and is now ready for all new members and visitors.

The forum is a little different to here as it uses a single page forum which puts all the topics on one page with important threads globally pinned at the top of the page.

Like i said we are ALMOST complete but we are still playing around and moving things about so please bare …

Comments: 0

Latest topics
» BEFORE YOU THINK IT'S OK TO WAR WITH SYRIA WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 5:54 am by Admin

» FIRST AMATURE VIDEO OF SPAIN TRAIN CRASH
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 10:14 am by Admin

» CERN GOD PORTAL EXPOSED!!
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyFri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 am by Admin

» Was Flight 214 HIJACKED? Raw video!!
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 10:16 pm by Admin

» NASA Spray Lithium Into The Air From Rockets Launched On July 4th, 2013
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 am by Admin

» July 5, 2013 MOX Plutonium Reactor #3 at Fukushima burned and had heavy releases into the atmosphere.
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 pm by Admin

» TOP SECRET AREA 51 PLANE CAUGHT ON VIDEO (PIC)
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 1:35 am by Admin

» Tortoise that was missing for 30 years Found Alive
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 9:26 am by Admin

» Cans of Fresh Air Go on Sale In China
Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 9:11 am by Admin

VISITOR PINPOINT
Earthquake Monitor

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid

Go down

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid Empty Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid

Post  victoria1 Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:52 am

Kawah Ijen is one of the most incredible and surreal places I've ever visited. It's the site of a labor intensive sulfur mining operation where miners collect and carry huge loads of pure sulfur up from the crater floor along a steep, rocky path amid clouds of sulfur dioxide gas, all for the equivalent of about ten dollars a day.
It is also home to the largest lake of sulfuric acid in the world. I wanted to explore this volcano in the most extreme manner I could think of... By taking a small boat out onto the acid lake. The ph of the lake water is 0.5, similar to the strength of car battery acid.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_09

The sulfuric acid lake in the middle of Ijen crater. Not exactly the perfect spot for a boat trip.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_02

As soon as I put this aluminum can into the acid, it started to sizzle and bubble. After about 20 minutes, the metal had been eaten away to the point where it was as thin as tissue.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_03

Out I go. I was confident that the rubber would survive the acid but I did have my doubts about the seams and the metal paddles.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_04

Out towards the middle of the acid lake. If I ran into problems out here, the consequences could be serious.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_05

Measuring the acidity. The ph was 0.5, about the same as the acid in a car battery.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_06

I had to return to shore when acid dripped into the boat from the paddles and started to burn my legs. Once ashore I used a knife to cut away my acid soaked pant legs.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_07

Looking down from the craters edge onto the sulfur mine and acid lake.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_01

A miner hauling a heavy load of sulfur up from the crater. These miners carry 65 to 100 kg of sulfur at a time.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_08

The sulfur dioxide gas at the mine site is so strong that I had problems breathing at times even with a gas mask. The miners who work there every day use only a wet rag to breath through.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_10

It may be pretty, but this is one of the harshest work environments in the world. The sulfur mined here is mostly used in the processing of sugar on Java.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_11

The workers install long pipes into the fumaroles to collect the hot, liquid sulfur which drips out and solidifies as it cools.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_12

They break off huge chunks with a crowbar and haul them out by hand with no protective equipment. The wet rags in their mouths help against the gas but it ends up dissolving their teeth eventually.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_13

A miner braves the noxious gas cloud that drifts around the crater.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_14

Almost to the top... These workers make the 4 km trek up out of the crater and down to the base of the volcano about twice a day.

Kawah Ijen Volcano - Indonesia Boating on a Lake of Sulfuric Acid TN300_Kawah_Ijen_15

And you thought your job was tough! I tried carrying one of the baskets and it was so heavy that I could only walk a few dozen paces. These guys carry them up the steep slopes of the crater!
victoria1
victoria1

Back to top Go down